November 14, 2018
A great deal of thought, research, and creativity goes into content marketing – but what goes on behind the scenes, from a technical viewpoint, is just as important. The following is some information that may help to demystify technical SEO and convey its importance to the big picture of content marketing.
What is Technical SEO?
The process of technical SEO analyzes and repairs the technical aspects of a website to enhance search rankings. It makes a website perform better by fixing technical issues that search engines generally dislike. For example, website coding that is not up to par may prevent a website from ranking well.
Here is some insight on some of the most important aspects of technical SEO:
- Important resources must be crawlable. Search engine crawlers must be able to locate and access the important text on all pages that drive natural search traffic. You must make sure all links are coded with an anchor tag bound to anchor text. You must also be sure that the robots.txt file and the meta robots tags are only blocking crawling and indexing where needed. Keep in mind that Google can now render pages in the same way that modern browsers can, so it is essential that your pages and all kinds of resources are crawlable.
- Choose a marketing team that understands optimization. Your marketing team will know how to alter title tags, meta descriptions, H1 headings, canonical tags, and URLs, so your site can be optimized more quickly.
- Beware of duplicate content. You can control basic duplication instances such as protocol, subdomain, case, and trailing slash with 301 directs. You must also be sure accurate canonical tags are installed across our site, especially on duplicate product SKU URLs and the sorting function URLs on your browse grid pages.
- Right-size your site’s indexation in the search engines. When you compare the ratio of performing pages against non-performing pages, you will see which pages are not driving traffic to your site. This can help you to determine which pages need to be optimized, and which need to be removed from the index. When you have a clean XML sitemap, you can see what content should be indexed. And you should also seek out old content and old subdomains in Google and Bing indexes.
- Use structured data. When you use structured data, you are helping search engines understand how relevant your content is. You can use structured data for social, breadcrumbs, organizations, and locations. You can also markup frequently-asked-questions pages with structured data to enable potential placement in answer boxes in Google’s search results.
- Optimize for Mobile. For SEO, your site should be responsive. Make sure the proper canonical and relative tags are in place to confirm their relationship for search engines, or they may be duplicate content. You should also test your most important pages with Bing’s and Google’s mobile-friendly tests to be certain there are not any barriers to indexation and ranking.
Philadelphia SEO Specialists at Premier Legal Marketing Employ Technical SEO Strategies to Improve Your Rankings
PLM may be a boutique marketing agency exclusively serving the internet marketing needs of lawyers and law firms, but we also understand the technical side of content marketing. To learn more about how we can help to keep your marketing efforts as efficient and effective as possible, please call Premier Legal Marketing at 856-320-2016, or contact us online. We offer a full range of marketing services, including branding, website design and maintenance, social media marketing, pay-per-click campaigns, reputation management, blogs, press releases, email marketing, and more.
Contact Premier Legal Marketing Today to Learn More!