Page speed, also known as page load time, is the amount of time it takes your page to load. This is not to be confused with site speed, which is the page speed for a sample of page views on a site. The bottom line is that a faster page speed is always preferred because faster pages rank and convert better. Much of it translates to user experience.
Google uses site speed to rank pages. In a recent study, sites ranking in the first five Google positions had noticeably lower page load times than sites that ranked at six and below. The site in position number six was 20 percent lower than the site in position one.
The best way to get rankings is to present a well-developed site that includes content that is useful to its users and is frequently updated. However, no one will see your content if the page does not load fast enough. Google expects pages to load in less than three seconds. Pages with longer load times tend to have higher bounce rates. Users spend less time on the page, which can negatively affect conversions.
Here are a few ways to Increase Page Speed:
- Optimize your code by removing spaces, commas, and other unnecessary characters. You can also remove code comments, formatting, and unused codes.
- Reduce your number of page redirects.
- Make sure your images are not larger than they should be.
- Make sure your images are in the right file format. PNGs are best for graphics with less than 16 colors; while JPEGs are better for photographs.
- Make sure your images are compressed for the web.
- Improve your server response time by identifying performance bottlenecks, such as slow database queries and routing, or a lack of adequate memory, and fix them.
- Use a Google tool to measure site speeds with analytics reports. This can help you to determine which of your landing pages are slowest, if your site loads faster on different browsers, and how page load time varies across geographies.
- Use a content distribution network (CDN) to distribute the load of delivering content. A CDN stores copies of your site at multiple, geographically diverse data centers so that users have faster, more reliable access to your site.
We Can Help Get Your Site Up to Speed
A faster page speed is always better, and we can help you get there. We know that it can be complicated, and that your focus is directed at serving your clients’ needs. We can help you to maximize the power of your website, and we will proudly serve your digital marketing needs. As a boutique digital marketing firm, Premier Legal Marketing (PLM) offers the very best in personalized service. Call us today at 856-320-2016 or contact us online to learn more about PLM’s internet marketing services for lawyers.