Although our region started the season with an unusually mild winter, winter is far from over. Cold and snowy weather is beginning to develop, and with the new weather comes unique dangers posed by the drop in temperature. Winter-related slip and fall claims have been on the rise over the past few years and account for almost a third of all work-related injuries. Not only can slipping and falling be painful and dangerous, it often means missed work and lost wages for victims, along with a loss of revenue for businesses.
Following these simple tips can help avoid severe injuries caused by slipping and falling in winter weather:
- Wear appropriate clothing. Dress in boots or shoes that have heavily ridged soles with a good deal of traction.
- Walk carefully and slowly, keeping eyes focused on the path ahead and paying specific attention to any ice patches or changes in surfaces.
- Be extra cautious when stepping off curbs and walking up and down stairs. Use hand rails when available.
- Move in and out of vehicles slowly and carefully.
- Be aware of slippery surfaces as you enter and exit buildings.
- Do your best to keep your arms free in order to have better balance.
- Be on the look-out for black ice, which is often difficult to see. This type of ice forms after melting and re-freezing.
- If you slip and begin to fall, try to stay as relaxed as possible. Tensing muscles can result in further injury. If you begin to fall backwards, try to sit down so you do not strike your head when you hit the ground.
Should you or someone you know get injured in a slip and fall accident in a public place or on the job, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a slip and fall attorney to obtain proper representation as soon into the filing process as possible.
New Jersey Legal Marketing Company Works to Maximize Law Firms’ Digital Footprint
At Premier Legal Marketing, our skilled marketing specialists develop online solutions for lawyers and law firms looking to increase their Internet presence. For a free consultation, call our New Jersey SEO firm at 856-448-4736 or contact us online.